Friday, January 28, 2011

The Beast vs Vibram


Just bought a beautiful pair of the mother of all running shoes, Brooks 'The Beast', made for over 200lb overpronators with flat feet and ankle tendon injuries (ie: me)...what a beautiful pair of shoes to put on, I feel like they were made for me (size 14 US) and havent even run in them yet...

A few friends I know will think Im wearing 'clodhoppoers', that is barefoot friends who claim that Im not relying on my foot's natural abilities

..I notice even on the vibram website it says....

For some over-pronators (people whose feet tend to flatten during full weight-bearing exercise), Vibram FiveFingers® footwear will be too much of an abrupt change in biomechanics. We always recommend what we call a micro progression into Vibram FiveFingers. The too-much-too-soon phenomenon can be a problem for anyone's foot. In the case of severe over-pronators, Vibram FiveFingers might not be a wise choice for weight-bearing activities. Over-pronators will definitely benefit from some focused rehabilitation and foot-specific exercises before wearing any minimalist footwear

Ive read 'Born to Run' and can see the romance of the barefoot craze and the logic behind it but its definitely a no goer for me....

No comments:

Post a Comment