Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Mental Side of Marathon Training


Got any tips on the mental side of marathon training? I have recently realized that my brain needs as much work as my body in getting ready...we are currently doing 20km long runs and i keep thinking about the marathon which isnt helping...

So far I have three different tactics I can think of;

1. Save the music until i really need it
2. Dissociate by talking to others or thinking through lists (best 100 albums of all time?)
3. Use meditation to shut of my thoughts
4. Break the run down into 4 ten km lots
5. Memorise quotes as mantras

If you want to run, run a mile. If you want to experience a different life, run a marathon.
Emil Zatopek

It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys.
Emil Zatopek

Men, today we die a little.
Emil Zatopek


No comments:

Post a Comment